BACK TO TOP

Friday 29 May 2015

Shy Kinda Love by Deanna Eshler - Review

 
 

Blurb:




When I was eleven, my best friend died in a car accident. When I was twelve, my mom walked out, leaving only a note to say goodbye. When I was eighteen, I was forced into witness protection.

My new name is Shyanne Adams. To protect myself, and painless existence, I do not live. I do not laugh. I do not love. For the last three years, the only meaningful thing I’ve done is care for the horse I rescued.

But now, at the age of twenty-one, the one person from both my past and present is pushing me to start living. Before I know it, I’m moving in with new friends who make me laugh. And next door is Kade Cross, the guy who wants me to love.

Kade knows that I will complicate his life, but he welcomes the challenge. He sees that I’m broken, but he doesn’t try to fix me. When he knows I’m trying to push him away, he braces for the impact.

What Kade doesn’t know is that I could have to relocate at any time. So I have to decide: is experiencing love for a short time worth the pain of losing it?
This New Adult Romance is an emotional journey through pain and healing as Shyanne decides to start living again, but never forgetting she could lose this life… just like her last one.
 


Kristine's Review:


Reviewed: May 2015.
 
 


Nicole lived through a hell you wouldn't wish upon your worst enemy, betrayed by the one man that should of always protected her, her father, when the nightmare she is living comes to a heinous end she is finally provided with a chance at a new life. In witness protection she can become someone else, with a clean slate and a new name, the girl that once was Nicole is now Shyanne, and with the support of her childhood protector Ryder she is given a new chance to become the girl she could of been before life destroyed her.

Years after relocating, Shyanne is still living a life of quiet solitude, she's lost in the grief of her past, struggling to just get through her days while caring for the horses that have to mean everything to her, the more Ryder pushes her to find herself outside of her pain and grief and to live the life of a normal 21 year old. With new friends, a new apartment and the new next door neighbour Kade.

Shy Kinda Love has this beautiful quality to it that draws you in, Shy with her beautiful fragility to her, but it's her vulnerability that sets her apart, it's her strength, her ability to weather even the darkest storms that makes her so easy to love, I fell in love with her flaws and her pain and her self doubt, with her selflessness and her need to safe guard her heart from future pain. Despite my absolute adoration for Shy, and my intrigue in Kade and his ability to see deeper into her than most, I found myself waning in my connection to the story. I went through stages where I was so utterly invested where I couldn't put the book down or walk away and then moments where I felt almost lost as I tried to regain that sense of connection.

Ultimately I really enjoyed Shy Kinda Love, I loved the growth the reader is able to witness as Nicole changes to Shyanne and eventually finds that there's more to her life than just pain, and hurt and betrayal. I'm intrigued to see if Eshler has more planned for Shy and Kade and for the rest of the characters we get to meet here.

 
 

Purchase Links:

 
 
 

About Deanna Eshler:

 




I'm a Licensed Clinical Counselor, with a masters degree, but I choose not use my degree. In 2013 I quit my job, working with foster kids and families, to stay at home with my 2 kids. That decision is one of my better ones to date.

In addition to my education in counseling, I am certified through EAGALA to provide Equestrian Assisted Psychotherapy (EAP). That training, and subsequent work using horses to help kids heal, is partially where my inspiration for Shy's story began. Watching children, and families, gain insight into their own behaviors through the horses has been an amazing process. I should mention that I'm not currently using this certification either. I like to gather information, training, titles, but I'm not big on utilizing my new skills.

I started reading, for fun, around 2007. I thank Harry Potter for showing me that escaping in a book is the best therapy. Since that time, I have read more than 500 books. This is one thing I have stayed committed to. I prefer audio books, since I can fold clothes and read at the same time, but I usually have a kindle book I'm reading simultaneously.

I decided to write my own novel when I realized there are not enough books in the New Adult genre. This is my favorite genre, thanks to Colleen Hoover and Jamie McGuire. Once I started writing Shy's story, I couldn't have stopped if I wanted to. Sometimes she would wake me in the middle of the night to tell me what the next chapter was about. Writing her story, as well as her horse's-Walker, was an emotional adventure. I hope you enjoy reading her story, as much as I enjoyed writing it.

 
 
 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment