BACK TO TOP

Tuesday 11 August 2015

Sustained (The Legal Briefs #2) by Emma Chase - ARC Review

 
 
Release Date: 25th August 2015.
 
 

Blurb:

 

A knight in tarnished armor is still a knight.

When you’re a defense attorney in Washington, DC, you see firsthand how hard life can be, and that sometimes the only way to survive is to be harder. I, Jake Becker, have a reputation for being cold, callous, and intimidating—and that suits me just fine. In fact, it’s necessary when I’m breaking down a witness on the stand.

Complications don’t work for me—I’m a “need-to-know” type of man. If you’re my client, tell me the basic facts. If you’re my date, stick to what will turn you on. I’m not a therapist or Prince Charming—and I don’t pretend to be.

Then Chelsea McQuaid and her six orphaned nieces and nephews came along and complicated the ever-loving hell out of my life. Now I'm going to Mommy & Me classes, One Direction concerts, the emergency room, and arguing cases in the principal's office.

Chelsea’s too sweet, too innocent, and too gorgeous for her own good. She tries to be tough, but she’s not. She needs someone to help her, defend her…and the kids.

And that — that, I know how to do.

This book can be read as a stand alone.

Goodreads

 

Kristine's Review:

Reviewed: August 2015.
 
I must say Emma Chase has a tendency to make her heroes a great blend of arrogant bastard mixed perfectly with swoony sex god, but Jake Becker stood out for me almost immediately, he intrigued me in Overruled, I was keen to know more about Jake and the more I read the more I fell for this complicated man. He's a ruthless shark in the courtroom but he also has a conscious and is caring, he gives respect where it's due and has a wisdom beyond his years. He captivated me from the first glimpse into his world, I wanted to know more, I wanted to know what drove him to be more, where the compassion he sparingly shows came from, I was desperate to discover who and what shaped him into the man he is today.
 
Chelsea McQuaid's life was coasting along,  studying art, going out and having fun, being a normal young woman when her life fell apart, now her life consists of late nights and earlier mornings, of cooking and cleaning and running a house of seven without a second to catch her breath, let alone a moment to grieve for all that she's lost. She's part lioness and part scared girl, the never back down strength in both Jake and Chelsea make them warriors ready to take on any battle, endeared them to me both separately and together but what truly stole my heart was their moments of unease, their trepidation as they took steps in their lives, their combined fear of the unknown while ploughing headlong into it, there was a fragile beauty that lurked below the surface for these two characters and it was a joy watching Jake search for a higher meaning, searching for confirmation of the kind of man he was and the kind of man he never dreamt he could never be, while Chelsea fought at times just to keep her head above water, fought to keep her emotions in check, fought to stay strong for those around her.
 
There's a lot of lessons here in Sustained, ones that remind you to appreciate what you have, appreciate the people in our lives, to allow yourself to be vulnerable enough to lean on those around you, to let people in, and to never discount how strong you are until you're tested. This is romance at it's core but it's also so much more, it's a sexy and sweet look at people who find what they never realised they wanted or could have when they least expected it, it's about families, the ones borne of blood and the ones you create, but most of all Sustained was a heartfelt, extremely sexy, often poignant and always funny look at love, the love and lust between a hot blooded man and woman, the love between an aunt and her nieces and nephews, the love between a mentor and his student, the love between four friends and colleagues, the love between brothers and sisters who spend most of the time wanting to tear each others hair our, put simply, love in all it's forms. The second book of the Legal Briefs series left me smiling like a goon, once again Emma Chase proves while she's an automatic 1click author for me.
 
 

 
 
 

Purchase Links:

 
Amazon Paperback: http://amzn.to/1DJUMiN
Amazon AUS: http://bit.ly/1HDLoZ5
Amazon UK: http://amzn.to/1hvlO3A
iBooks: https://itun.es/au/ajyZ3.l

Read GPI Review for Overruled #1: http://bit.ly/1L2jHhB

About Emma Chase:


By day, Emma Chase is a devoted wife and mother of two who resides in a small, rural town in New Jersey. By night she is a keyboard crusader, toiling away the hours to bring her colorful characters and their endless antics to life. She has a long standing love/hate relationship with caffeine.

Emma is an avid reader. Before her children were born she was known to consume whole books in a single day. Writing has also always been a passion and with the 2013 release of her debut romantic comedy, Tangled, the ability to now call herself an author is nothing less than a dream come true.

Website

No comments:

Post a Comment