BACK TO TOP

Wednesday 11 November 2015

Wrong by Jana Aston - Review

 
 
Blurb:
 
 
I have a history of picking the wrong guy. Gay? Player? Momma’s boy? Check, check and check.


Now I can’t stop fantasizing about one of the customers at the coffee shop I work at between classes. It’s just a harmless crush, right? It’s not like I ever see this guy outside of the coffee shop. It’s not like I’m going to see him while attempting to get birth control at the student clinic. While wearing a paper gown. While sitting on an exam table. Because he’s the doctor. Shoot. Me.

But what if, for once, the man I’ve had the dirtiest, most scandalous fantasies about turned out to be everything but wrong?
 
Purchase Links:
 
Canada: http://amzn.to/1PZaIPN

Barnes & Noble: http://bit.ly/1OdzfD7
Amazon paperback: http://amzn.to/1PnTwXj

 
 
Kristine's Review:

Reviewed: November 2015.

In the lead up to the release of Wrong I kept seeing teasers and the bright pink cover flood my news feed, I was intrigued, in the wake of release I kept seeing Wrong fly up the charts, I read the blurb and it seemed like a good fit for me, it seemed slightly irreverent, funny, sexy, all things that immediately appeal to me in a book, and for the first chapter or two I was still intrigued, unfortunately though for me that's where it ended.

The premise is that Sophie, a college student has been fairly unlucky in love and relationships, she's currently dating Mike, and is thinking she's finally ready to go all the way... virgin college student isn't a far fetched plot line, I actually kind of liked that about Sophie, she was quirky, and cute and yet so incredibly strong willed, she wasn't going to just blindly follow everyone else to satisfy what other people thought was normal. While Sophie is getting ready to approach the whole sex thing she's been busy lusting after a regular customer Luke, at her part time job where she works as a barista. For those few moments each visit she lusts after the mysterious Luke, he seems so much more of an adult her college buddies and boyfriend, but it's an innocent crush, it's not like she's ever going to see him in real life.

Until of course she goes to the student medical clinic to discuss her contraception options and get a routine physical, this is where this story started to crumble for me.... having your crush turn out to be none other than the doctor who's about to get all up in your business wasn't what made me scratch my head, I'm sure stranger things have happened and this is fiction after all, but that was the beginning of the end for me.... a physical and pap smear that results in Sophie having an orgasm on the table while Luke checks her over had me rolling my eyes, Luke constantly turning up when she least expects it, the way in which they get together, even their sex scenes, and I'm not a prude, give me hot, sweaty, dirty and kinky sex scenes and I'm there in a flash, I don't mind the odd spot of erotica, but generally I expect sex to further the story, propel it in some way, and unfortunately it never did, it felt off, gratuitous at times, and had me skimming just to get past it, there were numerous times I was tempted to DNF and yet I kept going back, hoping the author could draw me in but it never happened. Sophie started out as being a heroine I thought I could really get behind, but the more I read the less I cared about her, and Luke was almost Dr Jekyll/ Mr Hyde for me, he had this sweet side, and yet was so totally stand offish and almost brutish, I had hoped he was just exhibiting some alpha tendencies but for me he fell flat, much like the rest of the story. I know Wrong has been hugely popular, nabbing it's spot on both USA Today and New York Times best sellers lists, unfortunately it completely missed the mark for me.




About Jana Aston:



Jana Aston works a really boring day job. Really. Boring. In her spare time she loves to read sexy romance novels, especially if they involve an alpha CEO. Wrong is her first novel.

Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment