BACK TO TOP

Monday 4 January 2016

Licked (L.A. Liaisons #1) Brooke Blaine - Review


Blurb:

As the owner of Licked, an eclectic ice creamery and bar, Ryleigh Phillips doesn't have time for that love stuff. Serving up Nibble My Nuts sundaes and Drunken Sailor boozy shakes are as close to an orgasmic affair as she's had in months thanks to her expanding empire—until the night of her ten-year high school reunion.

When Ryleigh's crush, gorgeous ex-football god Cameron Mathis, comes streaking into her life (literally—streaking), she begins to wonder if she really can have it all.

Wouldn't it just figure that the moment you think life is perfect is when it falls spectacularly apart?

Enter Hunter Morgan, the contractor in charge of Licked's renovations. Devastatingly handsome, and a smartass to boot, he's got his eyes on Ryleigh from the moment he finds her passed out on his couch (yeah, that's a long story). There's just one tiny complication—he happens to be Cameron's best friend.

When the lines between relationships and friendships blur, and it's impossible to choose between two delicious flavors, what's a girl to do? Taste a sample of each? Or go out and get LICKED?



Kristine's Review: 
Reviewed: January 2016.

Have you ever just been idly browsing your Facebook feed when you stumble across a cover that intrigues you, you start to read the blurb and #1click it before you even reach the end??? Well that was me last night... I saw one of my friends post about Licked and by the second line of the blurb I was sold, I shared that badboy on the blog and in my group, immediately I had readers declaring their love of this book, and I wondered how I'd missed it, this afternoon I dove in, and the rest as they say is history.

Ryleigh Phillips seems to have it all together, great friends, successful business an adult themed Ice creamery on the cusp of expanding and not to mention a rocking heel collection, but things for Ryleigh weren't always so peachy, as a lover of all things rockabilly and 1950s and 1960s she's always been a bit quirky, a high school can be absolute torture for anyone who deviates from the norm, Ryleigh never felt like she fit, she always felt like she was on the outside looking in, if kids are cruel then teenage girls are absolute bitches. Her one good memory of high school was Cameron Mathis, star of the football team, he was a dreamboat, and she lusted after him from afar. When she begrudgingly attends her high school reunion she has only one agenda, to find Cameron and make a move. When she runs into him in the most unorthodox if ways it looks like she's not the only one who has fond memories, her high school crush might just be set to become her real life adult boyfriend, all of her adolescent dreams could be about to come true, but there's only one small problem, Cameron's roommate and best friend Hunter Morgan makes her stomach flip flop, he's infuriating and cocky and creative and talented, but he's not Cameron, so we is she feeling so conflicted???

“If you can’t tell your friends to fuck off with a smile and know they aren’t going anywhere, then you don’t have real friends.”  

Everything about Licked drew me in, from Ryleigh and her crazy loud group of friends - Paige, Quinn, Shayne and Zoe, to the charming and chivalrous Cameron, to the sexy and confident Hunter, Blaine's narrative is so natural, that I can hear Ryleigh's every though playing through my mind, she's quirky, and fun, and full of life, she's got a self deprecating sense of humour and she's got this easiness about her that effortlessly draws people to her, from her witty one liners, to her internal thoughts I was giggling from beginning to end, but the beauty of Licked wasn't just the sexually charged chemistry between Hunter and Ryleigh, or the witty zingers that flew between Ry and her girls, but Blaine's ability to seamlessly take the reader from laughing to swooning to heartbreaking anguish.

"It scares me to want you as much as I do, because you could hurt me. Break me. And I've been broken before."

I loved every damn second of this story, I adored watching these characters come to life, simply put I was invested from the first page, I wanted to slink into the world Blaine created, I wanted to hang out in Licked and After Dark and consume delicious desserts and craftily named cocktails, I wanted to swoon over Hunter while he worked, I wanted to be there for girls night.

"And all those things I don't know about you yet - I love those too."
The second I turned the last page I jumped on Goodreads to find out anything I could about Hooker, the next book in the L.A. Liaisons series, I stalked Brooke Blaine's Facebook page to find a blurb or a teaser or anything just to satiate my thirst for more of these characters, which should tell you how deeply I fell in love with this book. Do yourself a favour and #1click this beauty, sit back and enjoy the ride.




Purchase Links:

Amazon US: http://amzn.to/1MOVOrp
Amazon PB: http://amzn.to/1MOVRn8
Amazon CA: http://amzn.to/1VATtaD
Amazon AU: http://bit.ly/1OF2j1i
Amazon UK: http://amzn.to/1JSEy4L

About Brooke Blaine:

You could say Brooke Blaine was a book-a-holic from the time she knew how to read; she used to tell her mother that curling up with one at 4 a.m. before elementary school was her ‘quiet time.’ Not much has changed except for the espresso I.V. pump she now carries around and the size of her onesie pajamas.

She is the author of Flash Point, a romantic suspense standalone, as well as the co-author of the erotic series, A Desperate Man, with Ella Frank. The latter has scarred her conservative southern family for life, bless their hearts. Licked, a romantic comedy, will be released November 11th, 2015 and is the first in the L.A. Liaisons series.

If you’d like to get in touch with her, she’s easy to find - just keep an ear out for the Rick Astley ringtone that’s dominated her cell phone for ten years.

Head to Brooke's Website: http://www.brookeblaine.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment